photo Navbarbutton-home-01_zps8f6b3672.png  photo Navbarbutton-adoption-01_zpseb5bc34c.png  photo Navbarbutton-infertility-01_zpsbc4fc5ab.png  photo Navbarbutton-DIY-01_zps42a45383.png  photo Navbarbutton-DIY-01_zps42a45383.png

Sunday, November 24, 2013

DIY: Fixing your purse strap for less than $10!

In my last post, I talked a little about my purse collection and how I acquire most of my bags via eBay. Most them are new, but I also like to score a great deal on gently used bags. Sometimes, all they need is a little TLC.

Today, I'm going to share a super easy tip for repairing the peeling edges of your purse strap.

 

I recently began using this New with Tags purchase from eBay, and I was super bummed to note that the sealant was coming off the strap edge in a couple places after a few days of use.

 

But never fear! Totally easy AND cheap fix.

 

First thing's first:

You're going to need a product called Fiebing's Edge Kote, which you can buy for less than $10 on eBay from a wonderful seller called LeatherCareSupplyStore. It comes in a couple colors, so you can better match it to your bag. I bought brown.

After you have that product, you're going to need an applicator. I used a Q-Tip, which worked fine, but I think a pointed tip cotton bud would be more precise.

[Before you begin applying the product, make sure the glue holding the leather strap together where the sealant is missing is still secure. If the two pieces of leather are pulling apart, simply secure it with a strong glue, like E6000. It only takes a tiny amount. If the bag is really worn, you may have to trim some excess threads on the strap as well.]

Simply dip your applicator into the Edge Kote and fill in the missing chunks of sealant on your bag, carefully. It will probably take two or three coats to build it up to the right thickness. Just let it dry in between coats. It took about ten minutes.

This is two coats:

 

It needs one more coat, but look at the difference!

Another bonus of Edge Kote is that, should you desire a shinier finish, you just rub the sealed edge with your finger lightly, and it buffs to a light gloss.

 

That's IT! Just set the bag aside to dry thoroughly and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.


 

 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, thanks for the info! My handbag strap is cracked all over, but not missing chunks. Would I remove the coating that's on there now? If so, how would I do that and if not, what would be the best way to repair it? Thanks again, this is such a huge help!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!