photo Navbarbutton-home-01_zps8f6b3672.png  photo Navbarbutton-adoption-01_zpseb5bc34c.png  photo Navbarbutton-infertility-01_zpsbc4fc5ab.png  photo Navbarbutton-DIY-01_zps42a45383.png  photo Navbarbutton-DIY-01_zps42a45383.png

Saturday, November 16, 2013

eBay, people, eBay.

I get a lot of questions about where I get my handbags, and I'm going to tell you my dirty little secret.

So get some popcorn! We're about to deplete your slush funds.

My latest find, purchased at less than half the retail value. Courtesy photo: eBay.com

 

I've been collecting handbags for years, and when I say collecting...I mean researching popular styles by designers I like, coveted bags from specific lines, limited edition colors/features... It's just my thing.

Pretty early on in my collection, I realized that it's far more economical to shop online. Though I love buying a bag in a store for instant gratification, I much prefer saving money through coupons or being able to find a pre-loved bag. Consequently, I'd say that over 80% of my collection now has been purchased online at a discount.

Here are my tips for buying on auction sites:

  • Don't just search for the obvious. Some of my best bag finds are by searching with a misspelled or generalized search term. For instance, if you're looking for a bag from Coach's Legacy line in Ultraviolet, try searching for: "Coach legacy purple."
  • Always, ALWAYS look at the feedback score. If it's not above 99.7, I don't buy without talking to the buyer. Always read the selling feedback.
  • If you aren't sure about authenticity, ask for additional photos. If the bag is by a popular designer like Michael Kors, Coach, or Louis Vuitton (especially LV), go to the Purseforum.com for authentication. MK didn't used to be a highly faked line, but it is more and more prevalent now.
  • Want a leather Coach bag without a killer price? Search vintage bags such as the City, Willis, or Basic. They can be revived with a little polish, and leather bags that aren't lined can be soaked in a bath of fragrance/dye free soap like Woolite to remove old dirt! A black vintage leather bag from Coach? You can't kill it!
  • If you're competing in an auction, use a service like Auction Sniper, which will allow you to set your top bid any time before the auction ends, even days! The bid won't be placed until seconds before the auction ends, giving you a far better chance at winning at a low price. The best auction bidders don't bid until super late in the game. If an auction has days to go before ending and has 23 bids, I'd walk away.

 

What are some of your favorite eBay tips?

 

1 comment:

  1. Good tips! A few things I've learned:

    1. Especially with handbags, ALWAYS request additional pictures -- to ensure that the bottom and inside of the bag is in new or EUC.
    2. Don't be afraid to negotiate the shipping cost, especially if you're not in a hurry to receive the item.
    3. If an item I'm watching doesn't sell and is later re-listed, I'll often approach the seller and make them an offer. Most sellers just want to make some money and unless it's a retailer selling the item, they don't want to sit on the item for months. It never hurts to ask -- I've been pleasantly surprised at how accommodating many users are.
    4. If the seller is based internationally, just don't do it. Be wary of sellers' language usage, as it can often be a clue as to where they're located. You don't want to end up with something from China.
    5. BE NICE! Don't leave negative feedback unless you really mean it. Nearly any issue can be worked out with the seller privately. Karma, y'all.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!