photo Navbarbutton-home-01_zps8f6b3672.png  photo Navbarbutton-adoption-01_zpseb5bc34c.png  photo Navbarbutton-infertility-01_zpsbc4fc5ab.png  photo Navbarbutton-DIY-01_zps42a45383.png  photo Navbarbutton-DIY-01_zps42a45383.png

Monday, September 9, 2013

Hit/Miss: Products we use and products that use us


You know one of the first things that everyone rushes to do when you tell them you're bringing a baby home?

Suggest their favorite products! Add in the magazines, commercials, websites, and forums, and you're just about inundated with products that you just "HAVE TO HAVE" for little squish. This can be great, because as a first time mom, I sure as heck didn't really know where to start. It also can be overwhelming and lead to buying stuff that you know, in your heart, you'll never use.

Though we did pretty good, in my humble opinion, we were suckered in by a few products. Let me tell you about the things we threw our money at, and then I'll join the long line of Product Pushers and recommend a few of my favorites:


Miss:


Pack 'N' Play with bassinet for nighttime sleeping:


 
 
 
I'll agree with everyone that the P 'n' P was/is useful for changing diapers (it came with a changing table addition) and putting him down somewhere safe for naps or so mommy can take a shower (Yeah, right. Like that ever happens around here these days!). Where it failed us was in NIGHTtime sleeping. For the first few weeks, we had it right up against my side of the bed, so in the middle of the night, I could reach in and pick him up to feed him without getting out of bed. Unfortunately, I had to bend down pretty far to do it, and it KILLED my back. It also took up a ton of room. It has since been relegated to the living room, and we've got a new option that I'll share at the end.
 
 
Bottle Warmer:
 
Should have known better. Riley prefers room temperature formula, which is what he was put on in the hospital, and we haven't even unboxed the thing. Waste of about $20 bucks. Also, after having compared our nighttime routine with other formula moms, I can safely say that we spend a lot less time getting him set up to eat and then back to bed. If your little one will take room temperature, I'd try it. Some people say that the formula doesn't mix as well, but we have not personally had an issue with that.
 
 
Wipes Warmer:
 
We received this as a gift, so we weren't out any money. I had high hopes for this, but unfortunately, it just doesn't work for us. By the time we get our warm wipe to his bottom, it's already cold again. We have much better luck with warming a super cold wipe using body heat. Though I will say that I hear you can use them with cloth wipes, and that it works out much better.
 
 
0-3 Month Outfits:
 
If I had a dollar for every time someone told me, "Oh, don't buy any newborn outfits...He'll barely wear them! Just get 0-3 month onesies and such,"  then I'd be cashing in and heading straight to a Kate Spade Outlet.  While this is probably true for many babies, this theory did NOT work for Riley. At 7 lbs, 4oz, he was swallowed up by 0-3 month clothes and even some newborn outfits, oddly enough. We did have a few newborn outfits, but we had to make a mad dash for more.
We are just now getting into the bigger sizes.


Hits:



Arms Reach Co-Sleeper:


Ya'll, I'd gladly kiss the person who invented this gem:


 
 
 
You'll excuse the darkness of the photo...He was blissfully ASLEEP, and he didn't want to turn the lights on. As you can see, this co-sleeper is surrounded on all sides by breathable mesh and structured walls to protect baby. What you can't see is that it is strapped to the bed via a hidden strap system to prevent it from drifting away from the bed. The mattress can be adjusted to different heights, including even with the mattress. This gives you the effect of bed-sharing but without the safety concerns. There is also a huge bin underneath for storage and two side pockets as well, where we keep diapers, gripe water, etc. I cannot rave about this thing enough!  We got the Arms Reach Clearvue Co-Sleeper here for a little over $100. Totes worth it.
 
 
 
CJ's BUTTer:
 
My longtime friend and guru mama, Cindle, recommended this line of products to me, and we've been obsessed ever since. It's all natural, food grade, and totally safe for your little buddy. It comes in a variety of scents that even my husband loves. I use it on cradle cap, baby acne, diaper rash, and even MY eczema. It's a cure all, in my opinion. And best of all...It's affordable and cloth diaper safe! I highly recommend getting the .5 oz sampler pack for around $10. You can pick 6 scents, and they have really lasted us. We have one in every room.
 


Sling:

Now, I purchased a Moby wrap before baby was here for an egregious sum of money. It IS the most comfortable thing I've used yet, but there's one problem. This is Mississippi, ya'll, and that sucker is HOT.  Until the Fall really descends on us, I've been using a pouch sling from Seven Slings. I'm not recommending this brand (poor customer service, bad shipping), but I would totally recommend a sling like this in general. I babywear Riley to the grocery store, out about town, and even in the house. He loves it. If you're really handy with a sewing machine, you can even make a pouch sling or ring sling yourself! (Can we say, "Hello, monogramming and cute appliques!?")



Do you have any product regrets or absolute favorites? Let me know in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!